Close

Risultati da 1 a 6 di 6
    Nume Tutelare di Mac Peer

Hacker all'assalto dell'EFI!!!

Ultima notizia (ok, magari qualcuno l'ha già letta...
    Ecco la pagina
    P.S.
    questa volta gli hacker russi non c'entrano
    Sicuramente stanno tutti lavorando al firmware alternativo per la mia fotocamera

un Amico di Mac Peer L'avatar di flashcream
    sullo screen leggo BIOS
    e sembra un fotomontaggio... per tanti motivi...

mmm.... mi pare un pò fake

Quintessenza di Mac Peer L'avatar di TheCube
    Old...
    E in più quello non è l'EFI di un Mac
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Leggenda di Mac Peer L'avatar di Mac 4 Life
    [size=4]«[color=blue][b]Gli uomini credono volentieri ciò che desiderano sia vero[/color][/b]»[/size]
    (Giulio Cesare, [i][b]De Bello Gallico[/i][/b])

si, sembra proprio che l'immagine sia incollata a quella dello schermo...un brutto fotomontaggio e io che mi sono fidato di google news...

l'uomo dice che è tutto vero

our questions about the new iMac answered!
    Written on January 20th, 2006 at 3:17 AM
    Rating:

In my Intel iMac benchmark... completely unscientific, and other observations entry, several people asked about booting. Here's the short of it:

The Intel iMac will boot from USB, however, Apple does not officially sanction this. Given that iPods have moved to USB, I see no reason why Apple won't soon make USB booting an official feature. USB is slower than FireWire, so if FireWire is an option for you, I'd stick with that.

There was another question about the performance of iMovie HD '06. I'd love to have an answer to this one, unfortunately, this is an app I have no experience with.

Another person asked about AHT and the boot menu on the iMac... and here's how it looks now, as best I can describe.

The "option-key" boot works the same, basically, but it looks a lot more modern, and a lot more OS X like. Your drives are shown with large icons, and each has an arrow under it. The selected drive has a similar highlight to the highlight you'd see when selecting an iCon on your desktop.

Target disk mode has the same familiar icon, except blown up to take nearly half the screen, and sans color.

Apple hardware test looks the same as always, except it's now an EFI binary. It seems to have lost most of it's options though. Perhaps because EFI runs certain tests on it's own each time your system starts.

I was the first to break the news that "the EFI menu" could be accessed on new iMacs. The instructions are here: Entering the EFI menu on Intel based iMacs. With over 100 comments, there were a few misconceptions. I'd like to clear those up now.

1. It's *NOT* fake. Yah, I suck at taking pics, but my camera is even worse in macro mode. By now, most people have figured out that this is real, but if you still think I faked it, use google.

2. There *IS* a menu in the Apple supplied EFI. While at first it may seem that my instructions simply force you to load a different EFI, they actually do something far more sinister. "GraphicsConsole.efi" is not an EFI application, but actually a driver. You can't "boot" a system with a driver, so EFI quickly gives up and takes you to it's internal menu. It's interesting to note the "Evaluation purposes only" and "Do not distribute" messages. But, in fact, you are in a menu supplied by Apple, and probably written by Intel.

3. People *DO* want to run Windows. Even I want to run Windows. I think David Schroeder gave a definitive list of reasons:

- Gaming. This is probably the primary reason. Since even virtual machine solutions typically still emulate some aspects of video, to get the full performance Windows still has to be running natively directly on the hardware.

- Best possible performance. For those who want Windows and their Windows applications to run as best as they possibly can, again, running Windows directly is required.

- A desire to run Windows (for whatever reason, whether it be preference, desire, necessity, etc.) on quality Apple hardware, while also having the option to run Mac OS X.

- Other applications for which direct hardware access is required.

- Becuase you can. No reason at all other than to "do it".

I would like to add another to this list, development. This is *my* reason. As a web developer, I need to test my work in many browsers, and Internet Explorer is the most prevalent. A machine that can run Windows, Mac OS, Linux and the like is a developers dream. One machine to test it all.

4. The Intel iMac can *ONLY* read APM (Apple partition map), GPT (GUID Partition Table) and FAT (File Allocation Table) disks. This means, Vista can't boot. It doesn't matter how many remote machine installations you do, EFI is going to recognize three partition types that Vista doesn't support. Vista supports every other partition type. Not only that, EFI doesn't offer ACPI, something Vista requires. Even if you get around the partition problem, the ACPI problem looms. Of course, once Vista is fully EFI aware, neither of these will be an issue. For now, Vista won't boot. I've tested FreeBSD, Solaris, Ubuntu and Redhat, they all run in to similar problems. I encourage you to get an Intel iMac and test every scenario possible. The more we test, the harder we try, the more likely we are to reach computing nirvana, a machine that does it all.

5. Dave Schroeder did *NOT* write the instructions, I did. He wrote the comments where his name appears. You should check out his site, Apple/Intel FAQ. It's a great source of information, and I believe once someone gets another OS booting on the Intel Macs, you'll see full coverage on his site.

6. The Intel EFI code *IS* the end of the road, for now. From what I can tell, the code (and a few other tools) were written by Intel and Microsoft back in 2003 to get developers started working with EFI. I'm not sure if EFI was a failure, or, if the tools were so good as not to need a revision. However, the fact is, Intel and Microsoft have released a lot of documents on EFI, but two years ago. We're in 2006, and Apple is the only major (I use the term lightly) computer manufacture to take advantage of it. You'll see a lot of documents talking about a Boot Shell, CSM module and about El Torito. Fortunately, Apple does not have these legacy problems. Apple started fresh, and all these "technologies" required to boot Windows on an Intel Mac don't exist. They don't need to exist. Everything needed to boot Mac OS X exists, and that's the only thing Apple needs to think about.